Replacement CH/HW programmer options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hope someone would be able to help me identify which CH/HW heating controller I have and any possible direct replacements (without requiring the backplate to be rewired).

It’s a towerchron model and has been in the house for over 20 years. Alternatively, if it is a rewiring job, could I just replace the clock which seems to be the issue causing the boiler not to start without manually advancing it to the on position.

Thanks, LardyR

Attachments

• B613AE07-12C8-471E-89EC-42A56FC63439.jpeg
    B613AE07-12C8-471E-89EC-42A56FC63439.jpeg
    268.6 KB · Views: 527
  • D30C4BB0-C488-4527-9F54-73B570C9719A.jpeg
    D30C4BB0-C488-4527-9F54-73B570C9719A.jpeg
    279.7 KB · Views: 410
Sponsored Links
If you search ebay for Grasslin timer there are loads for about £20 and you could just change the clock.
Alternatively someting like Drayton programmer & change the whole thing. It is only 5 or 6 wires

It's an old Towerchron programmer, but more important when selecting a new programmer is the type of system that it is connected to, and of which you don't give any information. For example is it:

1) Gravity hot water circulation, with pumped central heating
2) Fully pumped Y-Plan with a 3-Port motorised valve
3) Fully pumped S-Plan with 2-Port motorised valves
4) Something else?

Looking at the age of the Towerchron, if the plumbing is of the same vintage it would probably be 1) above, in which case any programmer capable of controlling 'gravity hot water with pumped central heating' will suffice. However these older systems are becoming quite rare now because of their energy inefficiency, so this would be a good time to update the rest of the system to 2) or 3) and have more modern more energy efficient controls to operate it.

Hi Daveydub, Stem,

Thanks for the quick responses, maybe a clock replacement will do in the interim as it’s an odd set up currently and assume that’ll be an easy swap.

Stem, your point about the set up is key and apologies for not sharing that - this is where I get a tad lost. The system was upgraded to an invented system around 7 years ago and is run from a Rayburn nouveau gas boiler/range cooker which very inefficient and has a danfoss pump on the ground floor and a second pump upstairs next to the megaflow to help pump the water around faster (I wanted to change the boiler to a system boiler but couldn’t convince my wife). Edit- I’m pretty sure there are no motorized valves anywhere so closest would be your option 1 above.

Thanks again and happy New Year. LardyR

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sorry never heard of an "invented system" do you mean "unvented?" Unfortunately there isn't enough information for me to advise further. I would need to see how the Towerchron was wired in.

Last edited:
Saw that - thanks. Yes, unvented. Bit like danfoss should be grundfos pump and the Rayburn is a nouvelle

Appreciate you taking the time to help. Cheers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back