Replacement fridge door pole?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The pole that my fridge door swings on snapped at the top so I am having to hold it up with some cord tightened to the back grills. I am loathe to replace the fridge as there is nothing wrong with it and it seems like a waste of money to do this.

This happened 4yrs ago and the reason I haven't sorted it is because I have no idea what the part is called. I asked in a hardware shop once and they told me I need to go to a special catering place as this is not a normal part I can find anywhere. Any searches online on 'fridge door pole' do not turn up anything and nothing on any spares websites has turned up what looks like it would do the thing.

I was wondering if anyone could please direct me in the right direction!

Sponsored Links
I wonder what make and model the fridge is.

I believe it's a Servis fridge, but I can't find the model number anywhere. It is about 10yrs old.

Sponsored Links
Hi

Thanks for your advice. I have searched but I cannot find any identifying numbers or even a manufacturer name. The only thing I found was Electrolux 75AA which turns out to be a compressor.

How I know it is Servis is that the number for spares is stickered inside and a net search on it comes up with Servis. I actually bought it from one of those white goods places you get on the high street that have something wrong with them, this one has a dent on it, so I imagine one of the selling conditions may have been to strip it of any identifying marks?

I have taken some pictures of it so if anyone has any idea which one it may be, it would be much appreciated to let me know, otherwise I will try and download all Fridge/Freezer manuals from that site you gave and see if I recognise it.

There are 2 pictures of the (pole) part that is broken. One is when the door is closed and the other open. From looking online, it now seems that the small pole bit that is part of the hinge and goes into a hole in the fridge snapped off. I had thought it was a long pole that went all the way into the door.

it appears to be a pivot pin. Perhaps a child has been swinging on the door.

usually on fridges you can take the door off the pivots and re-hang it to hinge on the other side. If you look at the corresponding points on the other side of door and frame, you will probably see holes that the pivot goes into. I notice that yours has finger-grips on both sides of the doors, so I am pretty sure that your will do that.

If you look, you may see a couple of screws that you undo on the pivots to take the door off. Probably on the top ones. Or perhaps the door lifts up to release the lower pin from its socket.

It might be that on yours it is the holes (sockets) that are broken rather than the pin. However if you take it off you will be able to see and photograph the socket and the pin parts. It may be that you have unbroken sockets on the other side; if not, maybe someone will recognise the part, or you can take it into an appliance parts shop. You might even be able to dismantle and repair a broken socket with Araldite and a steel washer.

If you look at the user manuals for some other Service fridge-freezers, find the section relating to re-hanging the doors, it is a very common thing to do. The method and the parts may well be the same on other models.

OMG!!! I followed your suggestions and saw that the pin was unscewed, screwed it back in (tight) and now for the 1st time in years it swings without support and so smoothly! lol My friends will all comment they can't believe I fixed it after all these yrs lol Actually, my bathroom fitter was trying to do the same thing but he couldn't get the hinge cover off at the time, it is not the easiest but once I did it was such an easy fix. All these yrs of putting up with this damn door for no reason lol :oops:

I think what caused it is that it is not level and leans forward, for which I have just stuck a plank of wood to stabilise it. This must have made it unscrew after a few yrs but no more! Thank you so much! You have saved me a few hundred pounds as I would have just ended up replacing the fridge eventually. ;)

it probably has front feet that screw up and down to adjust the height.

I had a look and as you can see there is only what looks like an adjustable plastic screw thing on one side so I have no option but to use bits of wood to level it. Also, I just noticed that there appears possibly to be a lack of screws on the bottom so I imagine this contributed to the left side buckling a little (you can see it in the 1st picture). The shop also did not give me the cover to cover the big gap at the bottom (I only found this out many years later too). Next time I will be sure to look out for things like this with these kind of shops.

After levelling it doesn't clatter anymore and I have to get used to not using so much force to close the door any more. It's like having a new fridge!

:LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back