Replacement intermediate switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
I am trying to replace an MK Grid intermediate switch (white plastic) with a Varilight intermediate switch (flat stainless, hence change).
The problem I have is that the wire connected to the MK intermediate terminal is marked as 1/int (with the remaining terminals marked as 1, 2 & 2). The intermediate terminal on the varilight is marked as L2/int (with the remaining marked L2, L1 & L1). A simple swap of on the wire from intermediate terminal to new intermediate terminal results in the switch not working. Any ideas as I seem to be looking at a reversal of 1's and 2's?

Sponsored Links
Some have the 1s and 2s at the ends and some have them at the sides.
Has this caused you to wire it wrongly?

You should connect one cable to each end (top and bottom) of the switch?

Why not just use your multimeter to work out which terminals are which?

Would have taken less time than just registering here... ;)

But not as welcoming as here :D meet BAS he's mad but only on a full moon :LOL:

Welcome,

DS

Sponsored Links
Appreciate the banter!
Any ideas tho, or is my explanation a bit confusing?

After all that! BAS is the best advice :LOL:

Multimeter is required ! or 4 stabs in the dark.

Regards,

DS

After all that! BAS is the best advice :LOL: Multimeter is required ! or 4 stabs in the dark.
BAS was certainly right that a multimeter (if the OP has one) would have been the quickest solution in the first place. However, the OP has already had one 'stab', and (much as I don't like 'trial and error' any more than BAS does) I think that ought to define what will work ...

There are presumably two cables, and there surely is no way that a switch would have been designed such as the two conductors from one cable had to go to diagonally opposite terminals. Hence, if the arrangement the OP has tried (and doesn't work) has the the two conductors from one cable going to one 'side' of the switch (and the two conductors from the other cable going to the other side), then he presumably needs to change it so that one cable goes to the terminals at the bottom, and the other to the terminals at the bottom - or vice versa?

Kind Regards, John

There's always a duff switch - new does not rule out this...

..but then - multimeter to test.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back