replacement key for zafira

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have purchased a 1.8 zafira design it does not have remote start. i was told that i would be supplied with a new key (as there was only one with the car) i have waited now for a few weeks and am still getting fobbed off. i had said to the salesman that he couldn't sell a second hand car without a spare key and he asured me that i would get a replacement asap. i have read in the hand book that to obtain a spare key i shall need the car pass as the data fromthis is needed to perform some opps. can i find the car pass? no i cannot. is it possible to get a key without it? if not, how far can i go with this prob as i am miffed about the car as it is, (no service stamps, dodgy previose owners and interior not up to scratch) it is an 08 zaff and has the remainder of 60 days warranty from arnold clarke and it has a recorded miles of 36000. thanks for any help. if i can get a key that works i will be ok with it but i don't hold out much hope.

Sponsored Links
a main dealer would surely be able to provide a key if they have the car in front of them, very expensive though.
id be pushing the dealer you bought the car from or id be on the phone to trading standards, especially if they have promised the key as part of the deal.

You can probably get the key cloned at a auto locksmith. If not they should have the equipment to read the ecu and extract the immobiliser code out so you can get a key from the dealers.

Hi Chris,
You do in deed need the car pass (a 4 digit PIN for the car's ECU) that you can obtain from a VX dealer (usually producing the V5 for the car is enough - I did this at Peter Vardy in Perth and for a sum of £10 I had the car pass).
On another of your threads you asked about diagnostics, I suggested OP-COM as a reasonably priced solution - others disagreed, one good reason for investing in OP-COM (especially if you intend to keep the car a while) is that not only can you read the faults and measure the engine performance, you can also program new keys to the ECU.
I had to do this for the wife's Mk4 Astra, bought a blank key off ebay for £35 and £10 for the car pass then 20mins reprogramming and it was done.
The only alternative if you don't want to pay dealer price for a new key (around £165+VAT last I heard) is to buy a used ECU taht comes with the transponder chips and the transceiver ring and replace the lot - not a great alternative.

Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
our local arnold clarke have recently taken over as the areas largest vx dealer and i intend to go there tuesday and get it sorted. one way or the other. thanks for all advise.

the sales man has taken the details of the car and is now in the process of obtaining a key. he will call me when it arives.

Back