Replacement warm air electric heating system - suggestions

DB1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My dear old mum has a Unidare Electricaire model R10/73 which was originally installed in her house from new in about 1968. It's gone wrong a few times over the years and the fan has stopped working this weekend. I'm sure I could get the fan fixed - but the whole thing is falling apart and whilst in there looking to see what was wrong I noticed sensors have broken and wires had broken off. I repaired some of the simple things (such as broken wires), took the fan and motor apart and cleaned it up and lubricated the bearings with some WD40 (it now spins nicely but still wont work).

I am looking at finding a replacement system (hopefully a more up to date, more efficient and reliable system). I've had a look on-line and plan on contacting a few companies next week to start getting some quotes. But I couldn't get much idea of costs for purchase and installation or much feedback on good or bad systems online. So I thought I'd check in here and see if anyone had any advise/experience they could share to help me when I start looking at options for a replacement.

For those not familiar - this is a huge big box which stores heat and then a fan blows the heat through a ducting system throughout the house. No - I wont be installing a boiler and radiator, I know that would be a better system but my mum is very old and couldn't deal with the disruption - so like for like is the only option that will work for her. I've thought about electric wall mounted radiators but a few of them is going to add up in cost and it will cause disruption with furniture etc and using up wall space.
Whilst very expensive to run the advantage of the Unidare Electricaire model R10/73 type systems is that the ducting is hidden within the fabric of the house and the box has it's own cupboard - so it's not intrusive. My mum is used to it now as well - so I'd rather keep it simple for her.

Sponsored Links
Have you considered an air source heatpump? Some manufacturers make impressive claims about their efficiency, such as being able to get up to 3kW of heat by using just 1kW of electricity. Whether that's achievable in reality or not is another matter.

You may be able to retain the existing ductwork, and just replace the Electricaire unit with the indoor part of the heatpump (fan coil)

It should be easier to operate too, as it's not a storage system and so you don't have to decide one the night before what setting to have it on for the following day.

A further advantage is that heat pumps can work in reverse in the summer and provide cool air.

Or buy another Electricaire unit, they cost just under £2,000 excluding installation, but are still available. Click here. Although you don't want to do this, most domestic users have had them replaced with radiators as they are easier to control, provide a more comfortable stable temperature, don't dry the air so much, are quieter and cheaper to run.

Depending on the age of the installation, you may have an asbestos issue, as sometimes these units were installed in asbestos clad cupboards.

• Thanks
Reactions: DB1
Many thanks - and yes - you are spot on about the asbestos, spotted that when I was in there the other day! So something else to think about...

Sponsored Links
Are you related? Is it coincidence? or are you answering yourself with a plug for some work?

DB1

DougBroad100

Edit. How strange, the post by DougBroad100 has disappeared

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back