Replacement windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to make my own replacement window frames (to be double glazed) Could anyone recommend a book on modern design and techniques, plus information on latest government legislation? I have the equipment and the skills required but have no knowledge of the modern 'tip and tilt' hinges.

Sponsored Links
You're wasting valuable time - unless these windows have to match a species of wood, even then, I would just buy them. The windows will outlive you anyway. Spend the time you saved on doing something else in the home.

There is also the little problem of FENSA.

CHGOMIKE is treated like an adult in his country; in the UK we are not so fortunate.

Since March 2002 all window installations ( replacements as well as new build ) fall within the scope of FENSA.

Essentially new windows must be installed by FENSA registered installers

OR

DIYers must apply to their local authorities building control department to have their work inspected at the relevant stages by inspectors.

This would still apply if you were to attempt to construct new window frames.

Sorry to be such a Jeremiah. I seek to inform about the recent legislation not to champion it

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back