replacing 12V downlight with 240V pendant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, I'm in the process of replacing a recessed 12V downlight (more precisely: one of two downlights operated by the same switch) with a 240V pendant. got as far as wiring things up again but the pendant doesn't work (the second downlight works though). I assume that's to do with the transformer, right? Any suggestions where that is most likely to be located? In the ceiling void?
It's in a 2 year old new built flat. I guess I should try to find the transformer, disconnect it from the supply and connect the supply directly to the pendant, shouldn't I?
In fact there are three sets of downlights, each on its own circuit/switch.

Any suggestions would be more than welcome!

thanks, t

Sponsored Links
I guess I should try to find the transformer, disconnect it from the supply and connect the supply directly to the pendant, shouldn't I?

Yes you should. Or leave the transformer and second ELV downlighter as is and supply your new pendant from the supply side of the transformer (terminals permitting) if it's your preference to have one downlighter and one pendant.

thanks. I'd rather not have the second downlight working. but in terms of locating the transformer: is it a good idea to just pull on the cables and wait for it to emerge? or is it likely to be fixed anywhere? I don't want to go anywhere near ripping holes in the ceiling.... when these things are installed, is it common practice to install them somewhere easily accessible?

It depends on the type of transformer but yes, it's common to install them by one of the fittings though it's not unheard of for them to be installed in a central position.
Do you have access from above, maybe lift a floorboard or two?

If you opt to pull the cables don't go too mad as there may be poor connections which will more than likely be ripped apart. An option I used to use is a small angled mirror through the hole and a torch. Now I have a small snake camera.

Sponsored Links
Do you have access from above, maybe lift a floorboard or two?

Unfortunately not; it's a new built 5 storey residential block, concrete ceilings and all that. suspended plasterboard with 60mm service gap... will give it a go tomorrow, it's a bit dark by now. thanks again. t

It may be one transformer for both lamps, or one tranny per lamp.

In either case the transformer is supposed to be accessible, usually through one of the downlight holes.

The problem with those bulbs is that the next person in your home wont know and will end up putting 240v bulbs in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back