Replacing 2 Gas coal effect fire to real log fire ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people, first of all i would like to say thank you to all the pro's and others who post advice on here for the benefit of other, has saved me a good few quid in what is a difficult time
now onto my question, we moved into our house about 6 years ago and it had a gas coal effect fire in the front room and also one in the kitchen, both different types. The gas pipes came from the side of the wall and around the front of the fireplace and into the fire place and due to bringing a little one into the world we felt it was dangerous so had all the gas pipes removed but left the fires in place.
we have now decided to remove the fires, i have taken the kitchen one out completely and also taken the one in the front room out to have a look behind it and then replaced it, we are looking at putting 2 real log fires in mainly as a feature, will be lucky if they are used more than 5 times a year.
I am unsure as to what i have to do once the fires are out, i thought i could just stick a grate in there and job done, but reading on here it doesnt seem to be the case, i am awaiting a phone call from the local thurrock council to advise me further but wanted to ask you guys as well, neither of the chimney's have the small tube like flue running up to chimney, they just open up into the chimney, i hope that makes sense, i have taken a pic, not very good mind you, from through the small hole from the fire in the kitchen, inside the chimney has obviously got spider webs and there was only a small amount of dirt on the floor behind it, the walls look like they are painted or have been coated in a grey paint, is this a lining ? i would find it strange that they have been installed in without the chimney being ok, any advice would be appreciated [/img]//media.diynot.com/195000_194890_51835_36704645_thumb.jpg //media.diynot.com/195000_194890_51835_36704645_thumb.jpg

Sponsored Links
Looks like concrete precast flue, I doubt you'll get a liner up that as I suspect it's not as wide as 6". If you think an open grate fire is safer for your new sprog than the old gas fire you're mad, gas fires won't spit embers out whereas open grate fires almost certainly will (also causing damage to your carpet). You might be able to install an inset multifuel stove into the builders opening (Google "Town & Country Runswick") but this depends on the condition of the existing flue, I'd recommend a pre-installation inspection.

It's going to be a lot of expense for something you'll hardly use, at a rough guess you're staring a £2.5k bill in the face. Worth it for five times a year? I think not.

Probably best to forget the idea, I wouldn't want to fit a fire to a flue that's that old... If it's bigger than it looks and you can get a 6" diameter liner down it you're in with a shout but that £2.5k will go to nearer £3k or more by the time you've had a liner fitted

Sponsored Links
Looks like concrete precast flue, I doubt you'll get a liner up that as I suspect it's not as wide as 6". If you think an open grate fire is safer for your new sprog than the old gas fire you're mad, gas fires won't spit embers out whereas open grate fires almost certainly will (also causing damage to your carpet). You might be able to install an inset multifuel stove into the builders opening (Google "Town & Country Runswick") but this depends on the condition of the existing flue, I'd recommend a pre-installation inspection.

It's going to be a lot of expense for something you'll hardly use, at a rough guess you're staring a £2.5k bill in the face. Worth it for five times a year? I think not.

Wow :eek: 2.5k, what would that consist of, my boy is older now and to be fair I wouldn't have it lit without us being there as for the flooring we have wood flooring and again it's not something I would leave unattended for a long time and was planning on putting a safety screen in front as well, I was also hoping to do a fair bit myself

Probably best to forget the idea, I wouldn't want to fit a fire to a flue that's that old... If it's bigger than it looks and you can get a 6" diameter liner down it you're in with a shout but that £2.5k will go to nearer £3k or more by the time you've had a liner fitted

The picture is deceiving, when I say I took it through the hole, the hole was cut out to place the back of the old gas fire into the flue, it's certainly bigger than 6", should have measured it really, I spoke to my dads mate about my boiler, he worked for the gas board for 40 years and now works in the prisons a plumber, he seemed to think I would have been ok just chucking a grate in their and away I go, even told me one guy at the prison takes his gas fire out and puts a grate in just for the winter, why where the old fires fitted without a flue ?

It must be installed by a HETAS registered engineer, although there are certain things you can do yourself. The 2.5k is a guess bearing in mind that I haven't seen your particular situation, but the inset fires are around £800 each, you want two, so that's £1600, time to thoroughly inspect and test the existing flues (although as I've already said if they're as old as you say I wouldn't use them, they need to be lined) install any hearth required etc etc. If you want an open grate your fireplace will almost certainly need to be remodelled to take it, it's not just a case of chucking one in there and hoping for the best, it needs to be correctly designed and fireproofed as it'll be in direct contact with the flames.

Well you can do what you like yourself, but if your house burns down your insurance won't cover you if you don't have a certificate for it, and I wouldn't want to fit to a 70 year old flue, I'd be insisting on a liner. Carbon Monoxide can seep through walls, if the flue isn't sound you could end up with CO in a bedroom and a dead child.

As to why the old fires were fitted without a flue, you'll have to ask the installer who fitted them...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back