Replacing a 2 gang switch that has been disconnected.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am replacing a 2 gang dimmer switch with a normal 2 gang switch. Each switch will only contol 1 light (Not two way).

The wiring i have are two cables each with black, red, and earth to casing.

I have tried connecting reds to either common, and blacks to L1 connectors (as other switches are in the house), but this hasn't worked.

Any ideas what i am doing wrong??

Sponsored Links
No idea.

The house is a repo that i have just bought. I should have said i presume that it was a dimmer switch, as i found one in a kitchen draw, and this is the only double switch in the house.

Do you have any way of testing for voltage. The switch wires may have been disconnected elsewhere.

Sponsored Links
I have tried another suggestion from else where that has both lights coming on. Below is the connection details, with a description of what is happening.

Wire 1
Red - Common (With link to 2nd common)
Black - L1

Wire 2
Red- L1

The result is both lights come on, however the switch wwith the connections of wire 2 behind it works (switches on and off), the swith with the wire 1 details behind it only switches on and off when the other switch is on the on position.

Any ideas?

Sounds like you need to swop the two reds over. Put the spare black into some sort of a block if it is unused.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back