Replacing a back box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Was changing some socket faces in the living room yesterday, and one interestingly came off too easy! After connecting everything back up, it took me a few seconds to realise that there was no-where for one of the retaining screws to go. The little lug that takes the screw sheared off completely! Must have been hanging on by a thread.

Is there anyway to change the backbox or repair it? The current one is plastered over slightly, and i don't fancy redoing any holes or repapering/painting.

Sponsored Links
i don't really recommend doing this but its an idea anyway. find a lug probably from a new back box if you haven't got one, cut it off and then mig weld it to your existing box in the wall.

the other more ideal alternative is to take the box out, usually do this by bending the sides in and pulling it out, however its usually a bit of a faff to but a new box in as you will invariably have to chip some of the plaster out and if your cables come from any direction other than behind, you have to make the opening slightly wider to swivel the box in.

You may be able to repair the existing box by tapping a hole in the base of the box 3.5mm and then screwing in an extension lug and then screwing the socket outlet onto this. I'd glue the lug in place to prevent it unscrewing again too.

has it actually broken off or is it the adjustable lug that has come out of it's fixings?

if it's the latter then you should be able to put it back in and bend the little tabs back down to hold it again..

Sponsored Links
ColJack said:
has it actually broken off or is it the adjustable lug that has come out of it's fixings?

if it's the latter then you should be able to put it back in and bend the little tabs back down to hold it again..

Sorry for the delay, the lug has broken off completely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back