Replacing a ceiling light with a socket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I would like to create a socket to use in my loft, there are no existing sockets in the loft but a number of cables run through the joists for 1st floor, 240v ceiling lights, one of these lights is never used so I would like to know, if I kill the electricity can I disconnect the cable which runs to this redundant light and simply wire this straight into a pre-bought, unfixed socket, many thanks.

Sponsored Links
yugnoj said:
Hi,
I would like to create a socket to use in my loft, there are no existing sockets in the loft but a number of cables run through the joists for 1st floor, 240v ceiling lights, one of these lights is never used so I would like to know, if I kill the electricity can I disconnect the cable which runs to this redundant light and simply wire this straight into a pre-bought, unfixed socket, many thanks.

:eek: Good God No!!!

My Advise To You Is ....Call An Electrician

yugnoj said:
Hi,

if the socket is only for something like an TV amplifier or similar, then you could, but be aware that power from the socket is very limited. 5 or 6A including all lights

andy said:
if the socket is only for something like an TV amplifier or similar, then you could, but be aware that power from the socket is very limited. 5 or 6A including all lights

but some one will want to plug some thing else into it.

Sponsored Links
NuttallsSpark, i agree with you, but it was andy i quoted, not you

at which point they'll trip out the breaker on the lighting cuircuit and if they have half a brain hopefully realise whats going on.

i see putting 13A sockets on lighting cuircuits as no worse than selling extention leads with a 5A fused plug and flex to match.

i wouldn't do it if the sockets in a normal location though only if the sockets fairly inaccessible (behind equipment in the loft near the ceiling etc).

if they are stupid enough to do as you suggest, then they will also be too stupid to realise what they have done is the cause of the problem, since if they could figure it out, they would have realised you cant do it in the first place

why is it daft to put awkward to access (so unlikely to get used for a hoover etc) sockets on a lighting cuircuit. i'd much rather any lamps i own have standard plugs that can be used anywhere and yet still have central switching availible.

If it is to run a loft light then install one properly as part of the upstairs lighitn circuit. If it is to run the TV amp etc. a Fused Connection Unit with a 3A fuse & a socketoutlet aren't going to cause any problems....... unless you've got a bathroom extractor fan already on that circuit. These can induce interference on your TV amp, as can the hoover or boiler ignition if you power from the ring.

BAS is correct that there is no specific regulation preventing the installation of a BS1363 socket outlet into a dedicated lighting circuit, I would strongly urge against this action for many of the reasons posted above.

TV amps can be a problem, and to be honest they are better on their own dedicated circuit, however if this is NOT an option, then I would suggest the installation of a 5A BS196 round pin socket and replace the plug on the equipment ot be used to a BS196 5A plug. These are designed for use on lighting circuits, and they will prevent the use of "standard" equipment in the socket thus removing the risk that someone will plug in high load equipment that could trip the circuit.

The BS196 plugs are available in two types, fused and unfused. Generally the unfused is what will be available, but if you can get a fused one, then I would suugest this and fit a 2A fuse into it. Should anything go wrong with the amp then it will not affect the lighting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back