Replacing Aga with Range in cottage - extraction confusion!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have just bought a Grade 2 listed cottage and we're having the Aga removed and replaced with a gas range. As beautiful as it is, it really isn't practical financially. For now the new range will be located in the same place as we cannot afford to do a kitchen refit for the foreseeable future.

Being that this is a cottage the ceilings are very low and I'm wondering what our options are for extraction. Currently the aga is piped out into the front chimney stack (see images below) and ideally we would use that hole to extract through. Would a circular extractor fan (just inserted into that hole, not over hobs) be powerful enough? Can you get super powered ones?

Being that the house is listed and made of cob we may have some issues with ducting out the ceiling and across into chimney. Do pipe style extractors (such as in the bottom two images) do a good enough job? Would it be possible for one to come in through that existing hole then bend downwards above the hobs? Or is our only option a big old extractor hood?

I hope this makes sense, and thank you!

Images of house:
495ccf49a376f655c61141c33e50d62fa8945c5a_645_430.jpg

10363292824_78615633da_c.jpg

8b7d59840e6b723aa01cc665f58042298771a3fe_645_430.jpg

Images of extractor "pipe":
b0e667bed167f5791b873ec01f3b9f10.jpg

glass-backsplash-owi.jpg

Sponsored Links
I don't think you are allowed to vent an extractor Ito a chimney. Is the chimney used for any other fireplaces? You CERTAINLY are not allowed to if it is.

Hi flyingsparks,

No the chimney is not used for anything aside extracting from the aga. We have an inglenook but that's in the living room and in no way connected.

Here's a floor plan, you can see the small kitchen chimney stack between the two doors at the front of the house. Once the Aga is removed it wouldn't be servicing anything, in fact I believe it was built specifically for the Aga. How would I go about finding out whether it's OK to vent via a circular fan into the chimney, I'm not even sure what trade to contact? Gas!? Electrician!? Kitchen fitter?

We're first time buyers and this is all very alien to us so thank you for your reply.

04069a01e75a04950f61c8f3d416724531fccbc4_645_430.jpg

If you are allowed to (someone will be along in a min to say) then you need a good electrician. Not a kitchen fitter. A good spark will be able to put Ina hole the right size and wire a supply to the fan. Make sure they are on www.competantperson.co.uk

Sponsored Links
How would I go about finding out whether it's OK to vent via a circular fan into the chimney, I'm not even sure what trade to contact?
No need to contact anyone - is is NOT ok.

If you fit a normal extractor into the hole, grease from cooking will accumulate in the fan and the chimney, creating a rancid fire hazard.
It's also unlikely you would be able to get a fan of that style which was powerful enough.

If you fit an extractor hood (which will contain grease filters), the next problem is that the moisture from the extracted air will condense inside the chimney, causing damp problems.

If the aga is gas powered, what would be achieved by replacing it with another gas cooker?

It's a financial thing, they cost an extortionate amount to run and have gas running to them constantly to maintain the Aga's temperature. It's not a simple 'switch it on to cook dinner' as it takes over three hours to heat up. As both my partner and I are out at work all day, and we have a separate boiler for heating and hot water it just seems awfully pointless to have gas pumping into the property all day.

So I suppose our only option would be to fit an extractor hood unless one of those industrial pipe options (last two images) could work? Could we run the pipe out of the existing hole, through the chimney stack, and out the other side or do they specifically have to go up into the ceiling first?

Apologies if these seem to be ridiculous questions!

So I suppose our only option would be to fit an extractor hood unless one of those industrial pipe options (last two images) could work? Could we run the pipe out of the existing hole, through the chimney stack, and out the other side or do they specifically have to go up into the ceiling first?
Can't see how you would fit one of those 'pipe' style extractors - your ceiling is far too low, and the large motor & fan is located above or in the ceiling. There would still be the issue of where the outlet would go to.

An extractor vent can go straight through a wall to the outside.
Whether you will be allowed to do that in a listed building is another matter entirely.

Can't see how you would fit one of those 'pipe' style extractors - your ceiling is far too low, and the large motor & fan is located above or in the ceiling. There would still be the issue of where the outlet would go to.

An extractor vent can go straight through a wall to the outside.
Whether you will be allowed to do that in a listed building is another matter entirely.

So are you saying something like this http://www.xpelair.co.uk/gx-ec3-rf-range-of-6-9-nd-12-extract-fan-with-rf-conrl-compatability.html could work if put on the wall where the current pipe is and fed through the hole that goes into the chimney and then out the other side? Or are you saying a normal style extractor hood like this http://www.leisurecooker.co.uk/Item/H101P (ducted out) is the only option.

I'm assuming that we really should install one, I've seen kitchens without a hood but surely everything gets a little bit greasy!?

Seeing as the house is cob and will benefit hugely from any form of extra ventilation (from a damp point of view) I'm hoping that permission will not be a problem.

Thank you for your advice on this, it's hugely appreciated!

Cooker hoods need 750mm clearance from bottom of hood to gas cookers, would you have that space available after hood installed?.

I have a similar problem with the Grade II listed thatched cottage I am renovating.

You may get permission to add a vent in the wall, depends on the conservation officer. Mine wouldn't allow it, and also a vent over the front door is not pleasant for visitors.

As it is listed the building inspectors may be lenient and permit venting up through the chimney stack ( this is the route I maybe taking in my kitchen ) but you need to have a condensation trap with drain at the bottom of the vertical section and a grease trap between hood and the stack.

Have an informal chat with the local authority building control office, they are often very helpful and can provide good advice to get the best result for the home owner.

With the limited head room you may need to look at a custom built very shallow hood. Finding a local sheet metal worker or blacksmith could be the best option for this. It could be "framed" with dummy beams to conceal it,

With a fan blown extractor there is no need for the pipe to slope upwards to the stack so you could take the pipe horizontally into the stack an inch or two below the ceiling. So a hood just below the ceiling with a side extract would be possible.

The thatched roof insurance may put restrictions on what can go up the stack, The fact that the Aga was using the stack as a flue does not mean the insurance will accept the proposed use.

Hi

If you have the room in your ceiling void, you can get in-ceiling hoods. They are very unobtrusive and work well - we have one over an Aga.

Thank you for your help everyone.

I think the plan will be to get a good electrician tout to the house o formulate a plan, hopefully one that has experience with listed buildings. Then we'll take that to the LBC and see what they'll allow us to do!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back