Replacing an Ariston Electric Oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I am a newbie and my Ariston model FM 27 MIX - 2.8kw/220-230v built in single electric oven appears to have has passed away after seven years good service. The oven is wired via a 13 amp plug into a separate cooker socket.

I have decided to replace the oven myself and am just about to head out and part with my hard earned cash for a new one. My intention is to unplug and disconnect the existing wire from the back of the oven and then re-connect it to my new appliance.

My questions are these:

Is my approach to replacing the thing sound?

And

Do I need to replace the old cooker with one that has the exact same electrical spec as the Ariston?

Any advice gratefully recieved.

Cheers

Ronnie

Sponsored Links
when you say "oven" do you mean "oven" or do you mean "cooker?"

Generally any appliance that comes with a 13Amp plug on it, fitted by the manufacturer to a fitted flex, can be plugged into a 13Amp socket without trouble.

Obviously the appliance must draw 13amps or less (this is about 3kW), and the socket circuit must have the capacity to suppy 13Amps or more (in addition to other loads on the circuit).

What else runs on this circuit? What is the rating of the fuse or MCB that suppies it?

Is there a gas or electric hob?

p.s. an oven can usually be repaired, most often by fitting a new heating element if the old one fails.

Hi John,

I mean "oven".

The oven plugs in (via a 13 amp plug) into a single stand alone cooker socket with big red on/off switch at side. An electric hob is also fitted but appears to be separately connected to the power.

Sorry I am not that technical when it comes to electricity!

I realise that I might be able to get it repaired - but there are one or two other problems with it that suggest replacement would probably be best.

Thanks

Ronnie

Sponsored Links
Does the big red switch turn off the hob?

If you have a look at your Consumer unit "fuse box" you should see (if it has been labelled properly) that one of the circuits has been marked "cooker" and will have numbers on it, like B32 or 30A, and/or two coloured spots. If you switch off the MCB or pull out the fuse (with main switch off) then both the hob and the oven may stop working.

This will tell me what sort of circuit you have.

If you can post some pics of the consumer unit and cooker switch, that will help too.

No obvious problems so far though. you will probably be OK with an ordinary single oven, but will not (usually) be able to have a double oven.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back