Replacing bathroom ceiling.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I hope someone can help.

Our bathroom ceiling is pretty badly artexed and also has a few holes in it (don't ask). It really needs to be replaced. Rather than having to strip the artex and patching the holes which would be a nightmare job, could I just cover it with plasterboard, screwing it through the existing ceiling into the joists? Would I need to batten the existing ceiling first? Would I need to put something between the new and old ceilings to stop condensation forming?

If not, does anyone have an easy way of stripping artex?

Any help/advice appreciated.

Thanks
Simon

Sponsored Links
It's probably just as easy to pull the old plaster plate ceiling down and fit new sheets, I had a similar problem when I moved house, the existing artex was like stalagnites so I replated the whole lot.

If you don't fancy the mess then you can just plasterboard over the existing ceiling. Pop a few holes into the ceiling with a screwdriver to discover where the joists are and mark the positions on the wall.Then fix up new plasterboards using Drywall screws of a suitable length, probably a minimum of 40mm, remembering to take note of any cables. You can then have it skimmed in the usual way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back