Replacing bricks in fireplace and below where hearth will be

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a gas fire in my house but noticed the chimney breast was deep and wide. I therefore had the idea to install a log burner.

I have had the chimney swept and it's clay lined so won't need an additional liner so that saves some money.

The way the chimney was built it appears there is no lintels in. The front of next to the builder opening is double skinned so guess best thing to do here to is put in two concrete lintels to support the bricks above.

Secondly as you can see on pictures inside the opening there are alcoves on both sides. I guess these need to be filled in with bricks.

Lastly under where the hearth should be is just rubble as however put the last gas fire made a right mess. I was hoping if I kept going down I would reach a brick base but can't find one.

My questions are for the bricks to the side of where the fire will be do I need special bricks or will any do? I intend then to put fire board on the sides anyway.

Secondly to build the hearth up again should I dig out all of that rubble and start with bricks from wherever bottom is or should I leave rubble concrete on top then bricks then on top of that final hearth material. Probably granite or slate?

Thanks

Paul

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back