Replacing Built in oven and hob - Advice sought best options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to replace an old built under electric oven and a gas hob with new elec. single oven and electric hob.

I understand that work in kitchen is notifiable therefore I have the choice of either undertaking the work myself and getting the required approval or employing a qualified person. I have few questions about the proposed install.

CU old Wylex unit have replaced the old plug in fuse with MCB's - 2 x 30, 1 x15 and 3 x amp. Have not checked yet but assume that the oven will be connected via one of the 30 amp circuits (hopefully on its own!) - the oven is connected via the old type combined switch and socket.

Would it be feasible/safe/allowed to connect both oven and hob via the existing cooker switch (not checked switch rating yet)?

Have no idea yet of total power requirements for hob and oven (units not chosen).
Am I correct in thinking that the maximum load on a 30 amp fused circuit should not exceed 7.2kw?
I am aware (vaguely!) of diversity but unsure of how it should be applied in this case.

Any advice and suggestions appreciated

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you are used to a gas hob and you are going to move to electric then you really ought o consider an induction hob. A standard ceramic will not give you the same level of control over heat that gas does. However an induction hob is better than gas for controllability.
The downside is that an induction hob will be more expensive, and will have a higher max load.
To properly protect each unit the best solution would be 2 seperate radials each having a suitable MCB for the individual load. Of course if you have an oven with a low enough load, it may be under 13A which could allow connection to a plug removing the issue. This does have other consequenses as the ring you are plugging into will be highly loaded when teh oven is on full and if you then switch the kettle on, on the same ring...

The experts will be along in a minute to quote chapter and verse.

Thanks for that DJM. The house is my daughters. There are two reasons that we are going electric.
1. She does not like gas thinks its not as safe as elec.! Does not accept that at least with gas you can smell it if any problem.

2. Perhaps more importantly the gas rings are closer than I would have liked to a cupboard. While it is probably ok I think it will be somewhat safer with an electric hob.

Unfortunately think she will rule out induction due to cost. Suppose I need to get her to choose the oven and hob before deciding best way forward.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back