replacing ceiling light

try

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have replaced a single ceiling rose fitting with a 4 spot light (on one bar). There were three cables (each with earth, neutral, live) coming through which I connected together (twisting earth to earth, neutral to neutral, live to live) then feeding through a connector to the equivalent connections from the light fitting. Everything works perfectly, but I cannot SWITCH THE LIGHT OFF!. I can see that I have connected the light fitting directly to the mains, but do not know how to incorporate a switch mechanism.

HELP!

Sponsored Links
One of your "Neutral" conductors is actually a switch live (black in colour usually with red tape identifiying it). Do a quick search on how to connect a light fitting etc to get a diagram.

All the earths together
All the lives (reds) together in a connector
2x neutrals (blacks) together connected into blue on fitting
1x switch wire (black) connected into brown on fitting

Hope this helps.....isolate the power first of course......

thank you for your help.

I have used a multimeter to ascertain which is the switch cable and wired everything into a ceiling rose according to wiring instructions. However, when I came to attach the light fitting (this has blue, brown, and yellow/green cables) according to instructions, the light fitting does not work (I know it is fine as with previous attempts it was on permanently) Is there any chance you may know what I have done wrong. Or could you just tell me how to incorporate a live, neutral, and earth from a light fitting into a ceiling rose?

Hope my query makes sense!

Sponsored Links
but what do you do with the earth from the new light fitting when the manufacturer specifically states that the light fitting must be earthed?

as you say, things can only get worse

If you're dispensing with a ceiling rose you will need four terminal blocks.
EG ' switched live + brown' ' lives' 'neutrals +blue' 'earths + earth from new light.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back