Replacing concrete roof tiles with slate ones

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people,

I have a Victorian mid-terrace, that shares a ground floor bay window porch with next door.
They have nice slate roof tiles, mine are the ugly concrete version.

I'm therefore looking at if I could easily replace or swap out the concrete ones I have for slate ones.

The 'porch' is about 5 metres in width and its either 4 rows of slate tiles or 3 of the existing concrete tiles.

Now I guess I would need to remove all the tiles, then put up 4 battons instead of the existing 3 and then hand the slates, nail in place and then flatten down the existing lead flashing at the top from the concrete wavey design into the flatter slate format.

Am I missing something?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Line your new battens up with the neighbour's battens and piece the slates in at the join - as though you are toothing brickwork.
Only install same size slates holed like the neighbour's slates eg. top hole or middle hole.
Replace any damaged or worn felt. Felt to lap into the gutter by 40mm.
Check the condition of the fascia.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back