Replacing doors on a built in wardrobe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I have a built in wardrobe with sliding doors. Well, not anymore.. i took them out.. was always annoying only being able to see 1/3 of the contents at a time and fancy some normal opening type doors on them. So i'm after idea's really. Its a bedroom, the rest of the unit is white gloss which it will probably remain. I had been thinking perhaps make some door frames in 2x1 with some sort of mesh making the panel as it were.. or maybe something cool could be done with glass?

Sponsored Links
what tools have you got and what are your skills !!!!!

you need a router for example to rebate or groove for a panel

and maybe a dowel kit to butt joint the corners

you can only use fitted cupboard hinges on 15mm carcases unless you have extra space to the side as other hinges place the door beyond the side of the carcase

if for example you wanted to have 2 doors back to back made from 2x1" with another bit of 2x1"to hang the doors on if you use flush mounted hinges you would only be able to open one door at a time
you would need a piece of 3x2" to open both doors back to back

Hi mate, thanks for the response. I guess i call myself a patient/enthusiastic novice.. i work in wood but only of the butchering variety (shuttering). That said i've been getting into it a bit more now doing up the hall and bits and bobs..sooooo

Routers eh. pesky things always cropping up as useful.. Now i know theres cheap ones, but considering i might one day want to do that whole horrendously complex looking thing of routing/joining worktops how much might i look to spend? I don't have one, but could well get one. As for the measurements you describe.. i got a bit lost. To, hopefully, elucidate.. the recess left with my having removed the doors is generous.. like 6inches or so on all sides, the top less as a timber did hide the rails befire but that could be removed. I'd be happy with bog standard reasonable looking hinges.. so long as i'm happy with the doors. Any thoughts for panel apart from mesh? Also, alternatives to the wood on white gloss mix.. ? Was thinking perhaps something tatami/japanese looking...

you can of course do it without a router but you restrict yourself to square plane edges or "rustic edges " with a chisel' stanley knife or other sharp object

you can get a basic router and cutters for around the £50

you can of course if its material fix it to the frame with glue 'staples whatever

i would advise you to get your 2 by1" from a wood yard as the sheds sell a combination of bannana and propeller wood

if you use flush mounted hinges you dont need to cut any recesses

Sponsored Links
I had mirrored sliding doors.
Waking up in the morning not knowing if I was looking out of the window or at the mirrors & as you say only seeing into a 3rd of the space.
I changed to bi fold doors, they look good & I know what way I am facing when I wake. :LOL:

Hi.. if i'm going to get a router anyway would it not be best getting a good one that'll let me do worktop stuff and other bits later down the line? How much might such a piece cost? As for wood itself, i've got a good lumber yard just down the road i use a lot. A like how they charge you up to the nearest full meter, but don't actually offer meter lengths.. sneaky basts! If you cut anything down to meterage, you're charged for the offcut.. which is then automatically rounded up to the full meter. Is that standard practice for all lumber yards?

kaseryn said:
Hi.. if i'm going to get a router anyway would it not be best getting a good one that'll let me do worktop stuff and other bits later down the line? How much might such a piece cost? As for wood itself, i've got a good lumber yard just down the road i use a lot. A like how they charge you up to the nearest full meter, but don't actually offer meter lengths.. sneaky basts! If you cut anything down to meterage, you're charged for the offcut.. which is then automatically rounded up to the full meter. Is that standard practice for all lumber yards?

you will need a router of minimum about 1400w[input] preferably half inch as cutters are more readily avalable and you need fewer passes
i personaly would go for 1600 to 2000w half inch

it is perfectly acceptible to sell full lengths only

but i would suggest its probaly illegal if you buy a full length to charge you for the extra to the next meter

i more suspect its a tactic to discourage diyer or people buying small amounts

just say your going to weights and measures as youve been short changed ;) ;)

no seriously biuld up a repore get to know them make them laugh smile be happy eventualy as you buy more and more during your refurb work youll be able to get the odd part meters for free then when your up to spending around £50 youll start getting discounts

so keep em sweet and find out by listening who gives the best discount but dont be tooo pushy :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back