Replacing Hallway floorboards, and now need a solution for joists!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently purchased a ex council flat and have been slowly renovating, I have done a lot of the work my self and own of the last jobs was the movement in the hallway flooring. Once I had the floorboards exposed I noticed they weren’t in great condition and my grand plan was to replace the floorboards with 22mm MDF board after I secured the joist that had a bit of movement in them. I assumed in would be too difficult to reinforce the joists and fire down the mdf giving me a solid base flooring.

I have attached a couple of photos, and the joists have been butchered to say the least, they were floating joist on a concrete floor.. my question is what is the best way to proceed.

Of course I could replace them all, but with all the cabling and pipework I feel that would be too big a job for myself as a diyer.

I looked online to try and find some sort of solution and came across decking risers, I know it sounds pretty absurd, but would there be an major issue if I put these down in roughly level with the decent joists I have and effectively just lay my 22mm mdf board on top of them, I know they would be secured but I’m not sure they would be able to go anywhere..

The hallway is just over 1m by 5m

Feel free to roast if my idea is obscene..

Any help appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_0660.jpeg
    IMG_0660.jpeg
    585.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0661.jpeg
    IMG_0661.jpeg
    544.7 KB · Views: 35
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back