Replacing hardwood timber framed window hinges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My double glazed windows are all beginning to sag with tired hinges, anyone now a reliable source of replacements, are there different grades/quality according to frame weight or all similar? I have a variety of window sizes but same hinge type seem to have been used throughout.

Sponsored Links
foxhole";p="2752214 said:
My double glazed windows are all beginning to sag with tired hinges, anyone now a reliable source of replacements, are there different grades/quality according to frame weight or all similar? I have a variety of window sizes but same hinge type seem to have been used throughout.[/quote
Hi Fox]

send a few pics and size of hinges

Sponsored Links
DG supplyline are down your way, we use them loads mainly mail order, very helpful people

Trouble with top openers they always sag or drop with gravity, it could be the hinges are fine (unless they have obvious wear), its possible they've just crept down on the fixing screws screwed into the sides of the sash, i assume they are catching across the bottom, very common with top hungs?

These guys are pretty good too, i believe they even come and do the work also if you need that

http://www.mirandadoubleglazingshop.co.uk/index.html

http://www.dgsupplyline.co.uk/

They are all secure but need to lift slightly to align catch to close on some.

I may have wrongly assumed they were top openers, probably due to your link, side opener friction hinges have an extra element in them to give strength, when sourcing make sure you specify which you need, also don't forget the 'stack height', this is the hinge thickness when fully closed, usually 13 or 17mm, ideally you need to shut your window as much as possible and measure the gap between the frame and sash, this should be close enough to tell you which you need

Ironmongery Direct have all the technical spec's in their catalogue they seem to have a good range up to 180kgs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back