Replacing my Crittal windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening All

I'm looking to replace my old steel windows with aluminium units pretty soon and I've had a few quotes to supply and fit (7-10k).

Seemed a bit high to me and managed to get a supply only quote from a manufacturer. They quoted £2.5k.

Big difference so I'm thinking, I'll get someone to measure up for me and then fit the windows once they arrive.

So far, no joy at all. I feel like I've asked for the moon on a stick.

Why do these companies, who all seem to sub-contract to self employed fitters in any case, seem to think I want to pay them many thousands of pounds to measure up, submit an order and then get someone else to fit the windows?

I guess that's a rhetorical question, and my real question is how can I find someone in Surrey who could do this for me?

All advice much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
usually when the rep comes in with his 10k quote, he will come way down and when there is no margin for him to make a commission he slopes off.

then the company calls back with the real price a little while later.

it's an obscene way to trade but there you go.

£2,500 for ally that meets the current spec? any chance of the name of the company as i have a friend who is talking about 20k for new allys for his place. might be worth his while trying your guys.

as for measuring, have you tried the factory to see if they can send someone out for a price? then again, i measured all mine a couple of years ago and everything fitted just fine.......

I said this on a post last week when I priced a job up, I think you will find that.
Surveying
Fuel
Labour
Insurances
Returning for 10 years to guarantee the job
Trade registrations
Profit

All got to be taken into account
Supply only would generally involve the customer supplying the sizes and the company delivers the windows,simple, if you measure wrong no loss for the company as it is your sizes your fault.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Assume your aware that replacement windows/doors is controlled building work for which you will need a certificate of compliance. Unless you use a registered installer who will issue a FENSA certificate, you or your window fitter will need to notify your LABC who will inspect & issue a certificate; fee involved.

usually when the rep comes in with his 10k quote, he will come way down and when there is no margin for him to make a commission he slopes off.

then the company calls back with the real price a little while later.

it's an obscene way to trade but there you go.

£2,500 for ally that meets the current spec? any chance of the name of the company as i have a friend who is talking about 20k for new allys for his place. might be worth his while trying your guys.

as for measuring, have you tried the factory to see if they can send someone out for a price? then again, i measured all mine a couple of years ago and everything fitted just fine.......

The company is called Duration and they have told me they are definitely supply only.

Assume your aware that replacement windows/doors is controlled building work for which you will need a certificate of compliance. Unless you use a registered installer who will issue a FENSA certificate, you or your window fitter will need to notify your LABC who will inspect & issue a certificate; fee involved.

Thanks for the info Richard...I did know having replaced a few windows last year with a company I wouldn't go near again. Managed to get FENSA accreditation but couldn't measure for toffee.

I said this on a post last week when I priced a job up, I think you will find that.
Surveying
Fuel
Labour
Insurances
Trade registrations
Profit

Supply only would generally involve the customer supplying the sizes and the company delivers the windows,simple, if you measure wrong no loss for the company as it is your sizes your fault.

Thanks

Agreed...I'm more than happy to pay someone well for a quality job. Just not many many thousands to middlemen.

Can I email you the details so you can quote?

Surveying
Fuel
Labour
Insurances
Trade registrations
Profit

Thanks

Agreed...I'm more than happy to pay someone well for a quality job. Just not many many thousands to middlemen.

Can I email you the details so you can quote?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back