Replacing radiator in a microbore system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi chaps,

We are overhauling the whole kitchen and our plans mean we need to remove a radiator (length 1.8m). Not wanting to lose a radiator in the room (6m x 3m) we want to put one back in on the adjacent wall (not as big, planning on a 1.2m radiator). So, to the questions...

New double radiators, such as those available at wickes, screwfix, toolstation, etc are compatible with a microbore system? I fear this is a silly question but the way I understand microbore is that there is a pipe that runs from the in/out value into the middle of the radiator. How does this fit in with, what is essentially, a smaller radiator replacement.

I assume to I will have to drain the whole system and replace the pipe (current pipe is not long enough and far from straight!) back to the manifold?

Thanks!

Ste

Sponsored Links
The valve you are thinking of is or was a twin entry valve. These are no longer available so you will need to pipe the rad with a valve at each end. All rads are compatable with this set up.

SteUK said:
Hi chaps,

We are overhauling the whole kitchen and our plans mean we need to remove a radiator (length 1.8m). Not wanting to lose a radiator in the room (6m x 3m) we want to put one back in on the adjacent wall (not as big, planning on a 1.2m radiator). So, to the questions...

New double radiators, such as those available at wickes, screwfix, toolstation, etc are compatible with a microbore system? I fear this is a silly question but the way I understand microbore is that there is a pipe that runs from the in/out value into the middle of the radiator. How does this fit in with, what is essentially, a smaller radiator replacement.

I assume to I will have to drain the whole system and replace the pipe (current pipe is not long enough and far from straight!) back to the manifold?

Thanks!

Ste
Do you only have one pipe to that rad ??? :eek: :eek: :eek: Twin entry rad valves are not used anymore and if that is what you have then change the pipework for 2 single valves.
The rads from screwfix are fine for what you want.
you will need to extend the flow & return after draining down or freezing the pipes.......good luck :LOL:

Yes, yes, every radiator in the house has twin pipes at a single end. So just put a valve on each end and connect up?

How long does freezing last? Long enough to cut and re-solder?

Cheers!

Ste

Sponsored Links
Freezing lasts a while with microbore depending on where the blowtorch is.
You could use compression or even pushfit.

Hope you haven't got the old 1/4" microbore as there as no adapters available to metric sizes. You would have to change to 10mm copper and 'ream' the indie of the 10mm out until you can slide the 1/4" into it then solder as an end feed fitting.

Measuring it, it is 8mm.

Thanks for the advice chaps, think I will opt for the freezing and braze option.

Ste

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back