Replacing Sash Window Glass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a number of sash windows in my Victorian terrace, most of which have at some point had their old single glass panes removed and replaced with what looks like double glazed panes. However, these look to have been fitted quite badly and if possible I'd like to replace them.

Is it possible to get double glazed panes that will fit in standard window frames? From what I can see, logically at least, I see no reason why assuming you can get a pane thin enough to fit in the gap, this couldn't be done. However, I know nothing :)

Also, is it possible to get double glazed panes made to measure?

Sponsored Links
You would be better off using the single Pilkington K Glass to reflect heat back into the room, forget about double glazing

Oooh, never heard of that stuff. Isn't the idea of double glazing that the inside pane of glass is more or less at room temperature, thus not cooling the air that touches it? Would this Pilkington glass do the same?

heeelllooo chuckalicious :D :D :D

you used to be able to get stepped d/g units for sliding sashes

dont forget you will have to factor in the cost of re ballancing the windows and probably new sash cords whilst your at it :D ;)

Sponsored Links
well hello Al, long time no speak.
:D

The windows in question don't actually open at the moment, and 2 of the cords aren't even there, so that's a secondary concern at the moment, but a valid point nonetheless. I think the same numpty that put the glass in varnished over the frames and made them stick. Not a huge issue, we just want nice clean neat glass

On that note, see my other post :)

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=105365

you cant get rid of me :D :D ;)

you dont have to remove all 4 staff beads to remove the window just remove one side you just pull the one side clear of the frame and out the other side

if the sash cord is in good nick pull the sash to the bottom pull any slack till the weight is at the pully pin with a nail up near the pully
chalk line between cord and frame to line up lever out cord

do this with all cords in turn

i personaly use a stanley knife or tap a wide scraper to break the paint bond

if you do use a bit of wood DONT use the end grain as its harder and may cause denting /brusing off the wood

as for an "adult movie" there is far to much story line although in places isnt very plausable :D :D ;)

Oooh, never heard of that stuff. Isn't the idea of double glazing that the inside pane of glass is more or less at room temperature, thus not cooling the air that touches it? Would this Pilkington glass do the same?
At the moment I'm doing lessons on leadlight and stained glass windows and the feedback from the experts, the double glazing doesn't make a lot of difference but it does reduce the sound level

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back