Replacing Security Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, An existing security light I have is in need of replacment due to heavy yellowing of the bowl and the polycarbonate beginning to crack at the base risking water ingress. The existing light is a 100W PIR Bulkhead, but has an extra PIR output terminal which we currently use to trigger a smaller 40W bulkhead used as a signal light which we can see from the living room. unfortuately, I have not been able to find a similar replacement with the added PIR output, can anyone help. I was wondering is there was a way to connect the signal light across the lamp terminals of the terminal block if a similar model is not available. Strangely though some lights say that the lamp can be 60W max which would do and that the PIR can switch up to 1500W, but doesn't mention how.

Thanks for any help in advance

Sponsored Links
Hello Andrew.
If the existing fitting is about to fail through what sounds like heat issues I would recommend a different style of light fitting maybe ? Although I doubt you will be fitting a 100W lamp a 'cooler' type lamp would be better if the light is on for longer periods of time. ;) .
Many PIR fittings come with the capacity to 'switch' other light fittings on, depending on the individual 'spec' of the light we cannot comment, the 60W issue refers only to the individual fittings lamp type/requirements, nothing to do with the circuit characteristics.
Regards
Ed

Thanks for your reply, I daresay that the heat of the bulb probably did not go too well with the polycarbonate as it is 'dry' and brittle although the light is 15 years old so I suppose ths is a good lifetime.

I would be happy to get a bulkhead with a 60W max rating but it is how to PIR switch the aditional bulkhead without the additional PIR output terminal that the current fitting has that is stopping me from doing so.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back