Replacing solid floor under a staircase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - my first post on the forum, be kind please! :)

I'm excavating the floor in my hall, to replace it with an insulated concrete floor. The existing floor comprised
a thin screed sitting on
quarry tiles sitting on
a few inches of loose dirt and hardcore sitting on
clay.

The problem we're going to encounter is that the two supporting newels of the staircase simply rest on top of the quarry tiles, and I am loathe to leave one side of the staircase unsupported until the floor is re-instated. Also, I'll want the floor to exert an upward thrust on the bottom of the newels, because otherwise they would drop down when I remove the supporting material. I've thought about jacking them back up with short trench struts... I'd welcome any constructive advice!

Thanks
- Tim

Sponsored Links
dig out the hall but leave the bits under the newels, then jack / prop the stairs up about 3 foot back from the newels,
remove what's left under the newels, then blind with sand up to your jacks, then slid dpm under the newels to end of hall,
leaving the rest piled up near the jacks, lay 2 engineering on 1&1 sand & cement under newels to required height,
next day lower stairs and finish laying dpm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back