Replacing staircase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1977 house with staircase with half landing and a cupboard under the stairs. Instead of having railing the wall from the cupboard is used instead. I want to remove the whole lot and replace with a wooden staircase with half landing and no cupboard has anyone done this? I am intending if its possible to get contractor to do the work its not a diy project. I know my limits and this is way past what I can do myself.

Sponsored Links
First off, yes it can be done. First off is the downtakings, the cupboard will have been built after the stairs were installed, so you can perhaps do some of this? Take off the plasterboard and see how the half landing & framing are fixed, assuming the half landing is not resting on the cupboard fixing i.e. the framing is load bearing, then the framing & p/board can be removed (you can post some pics and we can advise) if the ex stairs at this point are good you might want to consider stair cladding kit as a route to pursue, there are plenty of them on the net

...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back