Replacing tap tails?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We got caught out by a leak in the bathroom sink last night. I tracked it down to one of the flexible tap connectors (tap tails?). I've removed the tap tails from the rigid pipes and put compression "stop ends" (I think that's what they're called) on them instead. Now I've managed to get the tap out (Grohe monobloc).

The problem is that I cannot see how to remove the tap tails from the monobloc. They swivel around quite happily without getting any looser. Is there a trick to get them off? Is it possible that they are fixed and I'll have to get a complete tap replacement?

Sponsored Links
Usually they will come out by clockwise. is the leak from the top of the tap connector or on the compression joint?

Sponsored Links
I took the whole unit to my local plumbing shop to get either replacement tails or a new tap. They said Grohe tap tails are always removable and started to try themselves. No joy. It seems they are fused or something. Possibly a leak inside the unit causing some corrosion (???). Anyhow, I will get the missus to choose a new tap (apparently Grohe don't do the flexi tails any more).

The original leak was from the actual tap tail, about an inch above the compression joint. Any theories? There was a slight bend at that point (not kinked). Perhaps the water is too hot?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back