Replacing the bleed valve for my non-standard radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been unsuccessful in sourcing a radiator bleed key and wondered if it was either rounded off or too small? The valve the other end appears to be tightened by a large flathead screwdriver, and this has something similar. A recent plumber who fitted another more modern radiator was unable to bleed it and now the weather is cold we're feeling it.

20221210_081607.jpg

Not sure if I should try to replace the valve entirely? The nipple is around 4mm with the valve width itself around 15mm. Failing that I might consider replacing with a spare radiator I have in the garage but would rather just bleed the damned thing.

And yes, previous owners painted nicely over everything...

Sponsored Links
I have been unsuccessful in sourcing a radiator bleed key and wondered if it was either rounded off or too small? The valve the other end appears to be tightened by a large flathead screwdriver, and this has something similar. A recent plumber who fitted another more modern radiator was unable to bleed it and now the weather is cold we're feeling it.

View attachment 288456

Not sure if I should try to replace the valve entirely? The nipple is around 4mm with the valve width itself around 15mm. Failing that I might consider replacing with a spare radiator I have in the garage but would rather just bleed the damned thing.

And yes, previous owners painted nicely over everything...
You could probably get that bleed valve to open with a suitable brass key ,it doesn't look too bad a condition.
Show us the key you are using

Sponsored Links
Nice picture ,but nothing like what the OP's radiator can accommodate.

You will notice it has tapered,internal edges on the first millimetres. Grind or file that off the bottom of the key.
The key will then go a little further into the vent ,and will grab onto the very bottom of the square spindle . May just allow you to now vent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back