Replacing toilet and sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i want to replace the (orange coloured) toilet, sink and shower tray in our small ensuite bathroom. ive already ripped out the orange shower tray and flooring, etc.

ive no idea about plumbing though, is it just a case of going to diy store and buying what we like the look of and getting a plumber in to fit them and then decorate/tile after this or is it more complex?

Sponsored Links
if you get the "appliances" the same size they should go back where the origonal ones were. so as you will be dissconecting them? you can put the new ones in their place. (you will have to change any seals, but these may come with new "appliances"

i dont know if this makes a difference or not but the new toilet will be a top button pushed one compared to the old one having a handle and the new sink will only have a central hole for a mixer type single centre tap.

other than that ... is size just measured across the back for the sink? and how is size measured for the toilet?

also, should a shower tray have an access panel on the front of it to make it easier to plumb in? (as the front is the only visible part) im also thinking of stone or ceramic shower tray instead of plastic - are they more durable, better suited to heavy use ... as in heavy people using it, not many people using it ;)

thx

If you haven't already got the replacement toilet, think again before you do. The push button type use a flapper valve, and I was going to fit one of these but did some research on the potential problems. The syphon type is low cost and if it goes wrong, it does not leak water, and it lasts for years. Replacement cost for syphon, less than £5.

The flapper valve type is inherently prone to leak, and you may not notice it leaking from perished valve seat, contamination on seat etc. See this for some background info.

Sponsored Links
surely they're not all that bad? ... the GF really does want the push button type, something like this one:-

http://makeashorterlink.com/?V28251BB6

... strongly recommend against? .. its for an ensuite which wouldnt be used all that often if that makes a difference?

I would have liked a push button type, but after researching it, I didn't want the agro of having to replace relatively expensive valves which are prone to leak (regardless of the frequency of use). It would be significant if you are on a water meter. Indeed, the less it is used may be a bigger source of trouble, but I don't know.

The syphon type go on for years without a problem, and all you get for the new type is a push button instead of a lever. You still need a brush, and after a night on the curry the other problems are still the same.

some of the ideal standards use a double push button which directly push down on either the short flush or full flush tubes, plus they come in a complete ready to install unit with internal overflow....a godsend.
Get your plumber in before you buy diy chain rubbish....if you're nice to him he may get you a good deal on some proper stuff.

replacement toilets rarely match up to the exsisting soil pipe but you may be lucky, the rest of it is fairly straight forward swapping like for like.

You may have a non-obvious problem if the wc exhaust goes into the floor rather than back through a wall - sometimes the pan would have to come forward which leaves a gap behind.

I haven't seen a general problem with flush valves, though some are pretty flimsy.

ok, diy chain store rubbish i can understand so without already knowing a quality plumber i have 2 problems ... where do i find a quality plumber who wont turn up in next weeks tradesmen from hell show! .... and if i am to find what we like rather than what the plumber suggests is good (we wont know the difference) where should i be shopping for quality toilets, etc .... as i have 1 toilet, 1 ensuite bathroom and a family bathroom to sort out over the next few months

1. Most tradesmen are mostky ok.
2. Don't expect absolute perfection, a job reaches it's end when the teething troubles have been sorted out, not when you first turn the water on.
3. You can have anything you like if you pay for it, so if you put pressure on to keep the price down, corners will be cut.
4. To find out who's good look in your local Parish magazine (if it has adverts), then talk to people locally.
5. We can't help, we don't know where you are, someone near you has had a plumbing job done and if the problems got sorted out, you can't ask for more.
6. Ring suppliers and ask them what their opinions are of their products, some will be cheap, some not so cheap but they can say which is better quality. They won't push to sell you the most expensive IMO, because if you're a cheapskate, they know they won't make any sale at all. Just don't tell anyone what your budget is.

The most common problem encountered by plumbers when fitting a bought suite is the toilet pan, is the one you have close coupled (cistern bolted to the pan) or low level ( 42mm bent pipe from cistern to pan) sometimes the outlet to the soil pipe needs to be extended or shortened if changing from low level to close coupled.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back