replacing toilet with complications

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey,
I'm in the process of renovating our bathroom, but i'm a bit confused as to how to fit the toilet.
As things stand the old toilet is screwed through some sort of thin plastic matting to the floorboards and the bathroom was previously fitted with carpet. The new toilet is the same type ie separate cistern and pan and same vertical waste pipe into the floor so I believe it should fit in the same place with a little fiddling.
We are planning on putting WBP ply on to the floorboards and then floor tiles on top of that to replace the carpet. Following advice on this forum we're planning on fitting tiles under the toilet, but to my mind this throws up a couple of problems.
1) The ply + tiles will be a fair bit thicker than the old matting so the waste pipe will have to be extended a bit (~20-25mm), I read somewhere you can just get an insert which does this job, but if anyone can provide some more info it'd be appreciated.
2) Getting the new bolts to go through the same holes will mean somehow marking and drilling the ply and tiles before they are laid. Does anyone have any tips on this? I thought I could just drill oversized holes to ensure alignment or maybe drill a slightly big first hole at best guess and try widening using a file as necessary?

Also does anyone have any links to good guides on seating the toilet, applying sealant etc?

If anyone knows other issues I’m going to face please advise!

Sponsored Links
flange said:
Hey,
I'm in the process of renovating our bathroom, but i'm a bit confused as to how to fit the toilet.
As things stand the old toilet is screwed through some sort of thin plastic matting to the floorboards and the bathroom was previously fitted with carpet. The new toilet is the same type ie separate cistern and pan and same vertical waste pipe into the floor so I believe it should fit in the same place with a little fiddling.
We are planning on putting WBP ply on to the floorboards and then floor tiles on top of that to replace the carpet. Following advice on this forum we're planning on fitting tiles under the toilet, but to my mind this throws up a couple of problems.
1) The ply + tiles will be a fair bit thicker than the old matting so the waste pipe will have to be extended a bit (~20-25mm), I read somewhere you can just get an insert which does this job, but if anyone can provide some more info it'd be appreciated.
2) Getting the new bolts to go through the same holes will mean somehow marking and drilling the ply and tiles before they are laid. Does anyone have any tips on this? I thought I could just drill oversized holes to ensure alignment or maybe drill a slightly big first hole at best guess and try widening using a file as necessary?

Also does anyone have any links to good guides on seating the toilet, applying sealant etc?

If anyone knows other issues I’m going to face please advise!

Buy an offset one of these
p1062302_l.jpg

Forget about lining up old screw holes and just screw to the floorboards using brass screws and white screw caps.
silicone around base of pan when finished.
The offset pan connector gives you a bit more scope for manouvering the pan if you need to.

Cheers for that, but does that mean i need to worry about the opposite problem now, i.e. half hitting one or more of the existing holes?

Sponsored Links
flange said:
Cheers for that, but does that mean i need to worry about the opposite problem now, i.e. half hitting one or more of the existing holes?

Fill the holes then if worried but you are screwing through ply and tiles :confused:

clf-gas Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:08 pm Post Subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is the offset, largerkhan.

Well i am a bit Eccentric :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back