Replacing uPVC D/G

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've recently bought a new house and taken on a total renovation of the place. Don't have a lot of budget left but would like to do something about two of the windows.

The house has part d/g and two of the units are blown - small hole in outer pane of downstairs lounge window and bad misting inside main bedroom window.

I've seen some units from screwfix for around £280 (1780mm x 1200, 3 openings) - is this a good price or can anyone recommend somehwere better to buy windows? Also is this a diy job (fairly compentent) or do I need to get someone in to fit?

All advice very much appreciated!!

Maceman

Sponsored Links
Instead of replacing the whole window, why not just replace the sealed units?

Either the inside or outside will have removable beading, lever this off with a screwdriver and take the units down to a local glazing firm. They'll knock you up replacement units in a couple of days, and you can reinstall yourself in a few minutes.

Last time I had a sealed unit made up, it was a 800x1200 low U, and it cost £40 quid. A lot cheaper than new windows and a lot easier too!

Lots of info regarding replacement windows & how to go about it on this forum, do a search, have a read & come back if you have any specific questions.

You should be aware that replacing complete windows is notifyable work to your local council BC unless you use a FENSA registered installation company. Additionally, if you don’t have the relevant paperwork to confirm the windows & installation comply with current regs, it could jeopardise/delay any future sale until you get it; & that price is not particularly cheap for windows of unknown origin or quality!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back