Repoint or seal crack at extension to house join

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Got cracking at extension to original house joins. Been there ages but finally got time to sort them. One extension 2011 and the other is in the 90s so definitely seems like old settling.

Would it be best to rake out the mortar and repoint or use some sort of sealant? Is there also a risk of the ties or starter kit behind rusting if left like that for years? More on the older extension as I'm guessing that might not be a stainless steel kit?

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20231028_124410_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231028_124410_HDR.jpg
    670 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20231028_124358.jpg
    IMG_20231028_124358.jpg
    602.1 KB · Views: 46
Sponsored Links
It seems fairly minor, if it's not causing a problem, don't do anything.

That would make life easier if moisture getting in isn't a problem. Looks like it's had some more mortar thrown at it over the years. Thanks.

Run the grinder up it and repoint if worried.

Clear sealant if you want a bodge.

Personally I'd leave it alone.

Last extension I looked at, had foam strip insert instead of any mortar... they just left it, but think the proper way is a polysulphide joint sealant, after the foam strips.

Sponsored Links
Ahh so they had like a backer foam to fill most of it and then a gap where sealant should be applied over it? Like a concrete slab expansion joint. That would make more sense than mortar at that sort of join I would think.

Think I'll leave it alone then if there's no worry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back