Repointing: reasons for failure?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been repointing some patio slabs using Wickes pre-mixed repointing mortar. (A small bag of ready-mixed sand/cement for DIYers).

Two weeks after I did the job, about half of the repointing has failed. The mortar is brittle, cracks easily and has a grey ash appearance.

What's gone wrong?

* It was a hot day when did the job. Has the mortar dried out too quickly -- I seem to recall that slabs which I repointed using a fairly "wet" mix seem to have survived better.

* Wrong mix? The Wickes bag reckons it is OK for repointing...

I'd like to get to the bottom of this. I've just repointed some verge tiles in cooler weather and am hoping it survives better.

Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
two things really
1:- wickes ready mixed mortar, pile of poo and the only useful thing is the bag it comes in
2:- in hot weather it will dry out very quickly and crumble. if you use decent cement sand mix, you need to keep it covered, to stop it drying quickly or mist it with a hose constantly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back