Reroof??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a detached property with a "4 hip" roof, the house is app 40 yrs old and much of the felt is hanging down in the roofspace, from time to time I get mildew and water marks where the ceiling slope joins the wall in the upstair rooms. My belief is that the roof needs refelting, does anyone concur, and can anyone recommend a good roofer in the Chester area please.
Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure it is felt hanging down and not tarred building paper?

Anyhoo, rotten felt alone is not a reason for a re-tile unless the tiles are delaminating or spalling.

The reason for mildew in the ceiling rake is a different matter altogether. It is an often overlooked part of the build in older properties regarding insulation.

You need to insulate with celotex between and across the rafters allowing a 25-50mm airgap on the cold side.

Thanks for the replies guys.
It could be tarred building paper, definitely black bitumen looking, brittle, it is hanging down in parts but not the total.
In one bedroom there are water marks visible as if water has been running down for about 3 - 4inches.
I had a couple of different people round and they both said "no felt overlapping into the gutter, and the soffits are damp inside, thats why you have water marks and mildew", then proceeded to give "fantastic" quotes, hence my questions on here.
Looked up celotex, am I correct that this needs to be fitted under the tiles i.e under the pitch of the roof?

Sponsored Links
You probably need a few dozen tiles replacing and a couple of dozen vents fitting that's about it.

£500 tops.

Probably.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back