restoration

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we were thinking about restoring the parquet floor in our living room ... the floor is dark red in color, is varnished and i belieev it is not stained .. there are a few scratches (furniture marks) on the floor and very fine gaps .. i was wondering if could use a wood filler and then reseal it with a floor varnish and avoid sanding the floor altogether ... because the floor is in good condition otherwise has a good amount of shine left ..

Sponsored Links
If you fill and varnish an unsanded floor you'll end up with a patchy floor, ruining the look you have now.
It's either or:
either you'll sand the whole floor, then use the sand-dust to mix with the woodfiller and apply a new finish
or you give the floor a good clean and live with the little scratches (adds character ;))

it literally has a character the previous owners kid has etched one .. but it's not very visible as of now i just used a wood filler and polished it with wax ... the wax has removed some light scratches and made the floor more squeaky :)

Are we talking about varnish or about an oiled/wax floor??
Oiled/wax floors can be repaired locally without becoming patchy (although will vary in colour for a while), varnished floors (lacquered) cannot be repaired locally.

Sponsored Links
it's a varnished floor .. just applied a coat of wax over the varnish .. that's the only thing we could do to make is the marks lighter

is there anything i could do apart from sanding it down .. that would make it better ?

if we do sand it down what aspects should i consider before we decide the finish .. should i was it oil it or varnish it ..

If you find the way it looks annoying you'll have to sand it I'm afraid. If you can live with it, like I said, give it a good clean and apply a proper maintenance product for varnished floors (that might disguise the mark a little bit).
Oil/wax (hardwaxoil) floors are our favoured kind of finish: easy to apply (even very forgiving with little applying errors) and easier to locally repair (small damages = bit of wax; larger damages: locally sanding) than varnish/lacquered.
But in the end it's personal choice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back