Retaining Cable Ducting In Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When chasing a wall for just say a light switch, what is the best way to retain / fix the cable ducting to the wall so that it can be plastered over?

I guess there are many ways, what do you guys do?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Plastic capping - goes someway to stop the plasterers blade causing mayhem.

Sponsored Links
Plastic capping (where appropriate) held on with galvanized "clout" nails (the flat head ones for roofing) but not nailed through - the head holds the capping edge down. Saves splitting the capping edge, which happens when you try to nail through it.

He is talking about oval conduit, not capping.

A method that has often worked for me, if hacking a chase out by hand, is to leave a few nibs of brickwork sticking out that wedge the conduit in.

Or if your chase is a pretty uniform depth just slop some filler or plaster into it first and then press the conduit in.

the oval conduit can be retained with cable clips. The ones I use are the 16mm T&E clips.

If the chase is shallow, they may stick through the surface and you can pull them out after plastering while it is still fresh. I find if you put on the first layer of plaster, and let it set, it will hold the conduit. Then you pull the clips off before finish plaster, and level off the clip-holes at the same time.

If the wall is uneven and the conduit has to be bent to hold it down, you must let the plaster harden fully before taking the clips out, or it may spring off.

I have also experimented with no-more nails which is not so quick as the clips.

t222745.jpg

depending on the width, I find that a straightened out p clip works well.. either nailed in or plug and screwed..

I've always held oval conduit in temporarily with clout head nails. There's no need to go overboard, given that the plastic will provide more than enough support once dry.

The proven way has always been galvanised clout nails (as used for tacking plasterboard). If the wall is too hard, a hole either side and use a red wall plug, if your really posh, nail plugs. The large head of the clout nail will catch the side of the conduit.

Thanks for your replies.
I also asked my tutor at college this evening and he said that he uses a bit of 1.5 or 2.5 T&E screwed into the wall either side of the oval trunk.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back