Retaining Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With summer hopefulkly on the way I am about to tackle a big problem, the garden!

My first problem is the retaining wall, which at present is only approximately 2 feet away from the back of the house. My dilema is to I attempt to try and move the wall back which will be a very hard job, removing several tonnes of rubble and earth or is there anything else someone can suggest that would be a better alternative than looking at this unsightly wall and steps out fo the kitchen window, (besdies slose my eyes and close the blinds).

I would like the wall maybe rebricked rather than cemenet over it, or I have been looking into stone cladding or brick slips but not sure if this is possible.

Any Suggestions?

I have added a few bicks of the wall and steps and also a blurred shot out of the upstairs window to show how close the wall is to the kitchen.

Would appreciate comments and sugegstions

Thanks, Darren

[img=http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/3654/wall15yh.th.jpg]

[img=http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/2558/wall29uw.th.jpg]

[img=http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/9823/wall35kz.th.jpg]

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Well the further away from the building the new wall goes the higher it will be and the more expensive. I doubt 3k would cover the cost of a new wall. If thats your budget i would look at maybe rebuilding the existing wall in same location, but others may be able to give better cost help.

What you need to do is decide where you want the new wall, ie how far awa from house. Then measure retained height at that location. Choose end facing material (stone, brick, render, timber, concrete). Factor in cost of removing existing wall. Removing additional earth. Then look at options for new wall structure and steps location.

Hi Guys

Further to my post way back when - Im now looking for a bit more advice - my neighbor will be having a digger and has offered the use of it to remove any earth etc so basically wondered if anyone could advise me how to go about making a start.

Basically I want to: repoint/make good the old brick retaining wall and lover the height by half, inserting drainage pipes at the bottom of the wall, and relay new wide steps, and tier the rest of the garden area as it slopes upwards. Also i would like to use a brick veneer for the wall but am unsure if this is possible.

Im concerned that i start messing about and the whole wall will collapse or something so would like some advice or an idiots guide as to how to go about it.

Is any of this possible? As id like to make the space as nice as possible without the project running into thousand of pounds.

Really hope someone can help.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back