Retrofit trickle vent - worth it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Noticed today that I had wet beading at the bottom of the window in the bedroom. Presumably condensation that's dripped down.

I have tilt turn windows and was thinking of retro fitting a trickle vent.

Is it worth it? Any recommendations on ones to use?

Sponsored Links
I'd be looking at the cause of the condensation first Trickle vents will NOT completely remove water vapour , they are designed as background ventilation. They will help but not resolve.

Purge ventilation ( opening a window) is best to remove excess water vapour.

Water vapour could have been created many ways ... cooking, breathing, showering , drying clothes in the property.

Did you sleep with the door closed? As your hot air when breathing will condensate in the coldest place ( the window ) , especially if the room is fairly cold

I'd be looking at the cause of the condensation first Trickle vents will NOT completely remove water vapour , they are designed as background ventilation. They will help but not resolve.

Purge ventilation ( opening a window) is best to remove excess water vapour.

Water vapour could have been created many ways ... cooking, breathing, showering , drying clothes in the property.

Did you sleep with the door closed? As your hot air when breathing will condensate in the coldest place ( the window ) , especially if the room is fairly cold
It'll all be down to exhalation whilst sleeping, although there is no ventilation other than a window in the bathroom which won't help things too.

I had only thought a trickle vent would be superior to opening the window as I can leave it open whilst out of the house to reduce humidity.

With the rising costs of energy i want to keep the heat in but its a difficult trade off!

Unfortunately unless you ventilate you will eventually end up with black mould.
You can get restrictions for tilt and turn windows so you could leave it open only a little bit

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately unless you ventilate you will eventually end up with black mould.
You can get restrictions for tilt and turn windows so you could leave it open only a little bit
The original owners had black mould in the bedroom and I've only just resolved it so I absolutely don't want it again.

Would trickle vents not just be the perfect solution or do they not transfer enough air?

Condensation in house can be a fickle beast with no one fits all solution for every house, do you windows have nigh latches or can you leave them very slightly ajar overnight, you'll soon see if makes a difference. Trickle vents may, or may not be enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back