RF Interference from boiler - what should I do next?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone.

Hoping someone can steer me in the right direction.
I have a Vokera Mynute 20-70se conventional boiler which is 15 years old.

For the past year I have had problems with interference on my TV/radio everytime the boiler is on and I have confirmed that it is co-incidental with the thermostat clicking off.

In February I had the thermostat replaced and this appeared to solve the problem for about 3 months, at which point it started happening again. Exact same symptoms.

The repairman is reluctant to replace the thermostat again and says what the system needs is a suppressor wired across the mains supply but that I will need to employ an electrician to do it. (Apparently there was a suppression kit produced by Vokera but it is now obsolete).

If this interference is being caused by the thermostat then would the suppression not need to be applied across the thermostat rather than the mains?

Part of me thinks I should just get a new boiler, given its age, but I doubt the new one would be able to be installed in the same location, what with new regulations and the need for drainage, etc, and I don't relish my house being torn apart to relocate it.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
In the 1980's when computers started being used in industry, they were easily upset by arching contacts, so as a young apprentice, I had the task of wiring what we termed 'Rifas' across every mains contact in control panels controlled by or adjacent to the computer equipment. This surpressed the interference very effictively.

The correct term for these items is an 'RC Surpressor'. They are cheap and I believe still readily available. A quick Google produced this I would suggest that you check with someone who has knowledge of the boiler, just to make sure it won't cause any problems with its operation.

Usually the supressor is put on the gas valve connections as this is where the interference comes from as it starts to open.
Your boiler may already have one if you have the instructions it may mention it

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies.

The service manual for the boiler does show a suppressor on the wiring diagram but it is connected at the mains voltage not across any switch.

Link to manual: http://vokera.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/mynute_14_48se_20_70se.pdf
The suppressor is shown on page 45 but no other reference is made that I can see.

This suppressor is not actually present in my boiler and the engineer I consulted says it was an add-on kit produced by Vokera which is now obsolete. His recommendation is that an electrician (i.e. not him) needs to wire a similar suppressor to the mains supply (i.e. at the wall socket, not inside the boiler). From your replies it seems that he is incorrect and this would not solve the problem.

Does anyone know if there is anything I may safely and legally do myself to resolve the issue. I don't want to employ an electrician if it won't resolve anything and the boiler engineer insists that there is no other resolution. As the boiler just plugs in to a standard wall socket, if mains suppression could fix it then then I may be able to buy a plug-in suppressor for the mains.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back