Ring circuit problem (?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Havin a decidedly Blonde moment today.
Putting a spur on a ring circuit using a 30A JB and a FCU to run a wall light. I opened up the floorboards and found the 2 ring circuit cables running parallel away from the socket. NOW, here's the blonde bit...I cut both cables and didn't mark which was which.
SO, 2 JBs later, I connected the cables and the spur, and all the sockets work. BUT am I right in thinking that if I've connected the cut cables together back to front, then the ring circuit is now a figure of 8? How can I find out if this is the case, and more importantly IS IT DANGEROUS?

Please help a hapless trainee, we need all the help we can get...

Sponsored Links
You haven't created a figure of 8 bridged ring unless you have connected both JBs together, you have merely turned part of the ring round, the only problem that could arise is if the cable lengths from where you cut to the DB were quite different in length its possible that you could have unbalenced it. I have a feeling I might need to draw a pic for this?

EDIT: OOI, why did you cut both the cables?

Because I'm a Tw#t...

The cables are roughly halfway in the ring. I'm pretty sure it's fine, just overcautious, but better safe than sorry,eh?

Sponsored Links
Thanks 123, just got the missus to beat me with the regs and I feel a lot better now
:p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back