Ring sizes on electric hobs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mother is about to have a new hob installed she is not allowed to use the induction hob she has because of her pacemaker. She has gone for just two rings and I have been surprised to find only rated at 1.2 kw and 1.7 kw which seems a bit small.

Looking at my own cooker I see one at 2.2 kw two at 3 kw and one at 3.7 kw which makes one wonder how long it would take to boil a pan of water with just 1.2 kw? With gas they go to 5.5 kw although with them much of the heat is lost due to steam produced from burning gas and so little of the heat produced getting into the pan.

When looking at 4 ring hobs the power for non induction they do seem bigger than those used with the domino 2 ring type. But when I looked for domino hobs with knobs to control them and ceramic top there were very few and only four with rings which together used more than 3 kw. Bosch, Miele and Neff plus on odd very cheap one called Prima.

Not being a cook may be I am worrying about nothing? Before changing cooker I do remember when using a pressure cooker it seemed to take an age to get up steam but once there it worked OK. And with a frying pan I always seemed to be close to max heat and now number 6 of the 12 settings seems ample.

So two questions.
1) Is a 1.2 kw ring too small?
2) Is the Prima hob any good?
Secondary is the types of hobs. I know halogen hobs are next best to induction but all the adds seem to have odd names like “HiLight”, “Quicklight” etc. The radiant hob is the third type of ceramic and I know they are slow. But how can one find out if a hob is halogen or radiant?

Sponsored Links
You might want to use an electric kettle to boil the water - quicker and probably cheaper than a 1.2Kw hob.

Or three seconds if you want to:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tefal-Quick-Cup-Water-Seconds/dp/B000SK9G52

I fitted a Prima hob a couple of weeks ago - they are linked to B&Q - don't bother ringing their helpline - they can't help - neither could their (un)helpful manual.

The issue I had was that they recommended a minimum of 4mm cable to connect the hob to the cooker unit but the terminal blocks would only take 2.5mm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back