Rising main stop tap problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Victorian terraced house. The rising main stop tap no longer turns the water off properly - it slows it down but water still flows through. Presumably it needs a new washer. I assume I need to contact the water company who will have to turn the water off in the street first? Is it then their responsibility to repair/replace the stop tap?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
The stococks in your property it's your job to fix it.
find the main stopcock outside and shut it off yourself.

Bearing in mind if you break the stoptap which is outside of your boundary, you can be landed with a £1000 fine, just be gentle.

Is the stoptap inside your property old a bit crudded up? Generally if this is the case, it isn't a washer problem and just the stoptap seized with age, and often needs replacing.

If your going through the bother of changing the stoptap, why don't you look into a "SureStop" switch. Easy to fit and so much better than a stoptap. It's basically a switch, the same as a light switch, that turns your water off and on, ingenious!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back