River stones

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In a strange moment I bought these Piedra de rio mosaic type mats to make a stripe round the room. Nominally they're 33 x 8cm, each stone is sliced about 6mm thick , and they're natural shapes, between 2 and 5 cm across. Marble, stripey limestone, etc.
That means there will be a lot of grout showing. The stones aren't cut to width, so the width of the stripe varies.. So much that I'm going to have to nibble or cut the odd protruding edge. Each stone has an uneven edge, sloping etc, and they vary in thickness a bit too.

Anyone got any tips on laying them?
I assume I just use "wide" type grout, and a wet sponge to smooth it between the stones. The gaps vary from 0, to 1 cm or a bit more.

4 bar shower pump so they'll have to hang on tight.

Perhaps I'd be better off just tiling the walls plain white and making a vertical stripe of these stones a foot or so wide!

Sponsored Links
me and the misses laid a strip of pebbles (loose, not mosaic type) in our tiled kitchen floor, I was using unibond fix&grout - did the tiles first then filled the groove for the pebbles with the mud, the wife did her pretty arranging of the stones, and then we stood back and panicked because it looked rubbish, with the mud squishing out around all the stones! (bare with me here)tried sponging it down but it still looked crap! However when the adhesive had started to go off just a little I used a stiff paintbrush and loads of water to scrub the excess grout from the pebbles, flattening it off and shaping it to expose the surfaces of the stones - lo and behold it looked very nice :LOL: phew!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back