Rocking water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whenever I run the hot water to wash the dishes, theres a loud rythmic rushing sound coming from the header tank on top of our combi immersion heater tank, when I remove the lid to see whats happening, the ballcock is going up and down and the water level is swilling from side to side, the osscilating ballcock is making a hell of a noise and can be heard by all the neighbours. a plumber has told me to turn the valve down on the ballcock supply line as there is too much pressure on the ballcock.....which I have done but the prob still persists and the valve is nearly closed, if I close it any more it wont refill the emmersion fast enough when I run a bath. If it is a pressure problem, none of the neighbours are suffering from it. Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
How secure is your cylinder ? if the water is swilling from side to side it sounds as if the cylinder is moving, there should be no movement at all.

Yea the unit is secure and is not moving, when the water is swilling it is very slight, but even the slightest rise and fall sets the ballcock off. is there not a push on sleeve I can fit to the outlet of the ballcock that will ease the fall of the water and kill the noise?

I would recommend that you change the ballcock assembly, the mechanism is probably worn causing the water hammer, if the swilling still happens fit a baffle in the tank to stop the ball bouncing on the moving water.

Sponsored Links
Fit a pressure reducing valve on the incoming main - then all your mains water will be @ a sensible pressure :idea: About £20 ish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back