Roof Banging Noises during high winds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

During gusty weather, i get a lot of banging and creaking sounds coming from around the edges of the roof. They can be heard in most rooms upstairs and it has woken me up at times. The house is 25 years old and i have only been in about a year. I have been into the loft and had a look. It appears that the noise is coming from the area around the rafter trays and the felt between the rafters. The noise is quieter in the loft but it appears that the felt sags slightly between the rafters and when the wind blows through the soffits / eaves vents, the felt is going tight and then sagging again.

I have listened around the rafters with a mechanics stethoscope and the rafters themselves dont appear to be creaking so i think it is this interface at the bottom of the roof.

Has anyone had any experience of sorting this out relatively easily - i.e. from the inside? I dont really want to start pulling the roof off for obvious reasons!

My thoughts would be to put some pieces of wood between the rafters just below the level where the felt join is (above the rafter tray but below where the felt changes from glossy to matt finish in the attached photos) and set these so the top face is level with the top side of the rafters. Would this stop the creaking?? See attached photo.

Many thanks.

J

IMG_6231.jpg
IMG_6232.jpg
IMG_6233.jpg

Sponsored Links
If it is the trays flexing maybe find some plastic pipe that fits and push some lengths down between the protrusions, being pipe it will maintain an air flow.

Define a "bang".

I doubt felt or plastic trays can make a "bang".

felt/underlay can vibrate ..buzz or slap underside of battens. actual banging might be something else. Look outside

Sponsored Links
You need to go in the loft when the noise is happening, to trace the source.

I had a regular tapping noise in the wind - night before last, which was difficult to place the source of. It (not the wind) scared our poor dog, who ended up on our bed shivering with fear. I found the source of the noise yesterday morning. It was a network and 20v power supply cable, which used to feed a wifi highly directional access point, to give wifi access to the lad who had moved into a house at the other side of the village. He couldn't afford broadband at the time.

The wifi access point was mounted on top of my antenna mast, with it's cables down the middle of the mast. Access point was removed years ago, but the cables were left in place. The shaking from the wind, had managed to shake the cables out of the mast and they were just swinging loose out of the hole in the wall, every so often tapping the window overlooking the drive. I was able to just go in the loft and pull them in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back