Roof battens and counter battens

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello folks :D

Just been looking into roof construction and sometimes I see that the construction involves battens and counter battens, while at other times, I see battens only?

I am planning to use natural slate, about 8mm thick. Under what circumstances should I have counter battens + battens and under what scenarios should I have battens only?

As an example, the attached image shows only 1 layer of battens...

Attachments

• upload.jpg
    upload.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 424
Sponsored Links
But then on this installation they use battens + counter battens...

Attachments

• zzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg
    zzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 4,075
When you are insulating the top of the rafters, and water needs to drain and air needs to flow under the tile laths

Ok, so I only need 2 x layers of battens if I am insulating over the rafters, otherwise just the 1 x layer is fine?

Sponsored Links
Insulation or something similar such as a ridgid board. Anything that stops water draining beneath the laths

If you are tiling staight on to rafters, then just the horizontal battens in the normal way.

Hi Woody, thanks for your input.

In terms of rafters, they will be 200mm in size, I'm going for in between the rafter insulation only, and sealing it all up from underneath using Tyvek AirGuard, just before the ceiling plasterboard is fixed on.

So in terms of layers, it will be:

1. Slate
2. Battens
3. Breathable membrane (I'm using Tyvek Supro)
4. Rafters with Celotex in between each one
5. Tyvek AirGuard
6. Plasterboard

Hopefully that will be fine?

As long as you have an air gap above the celotex, into which the membrane can sag. IIRC, the air gap does not need to be ventilated with Tyvek

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back