Roof joists notched in centre

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I removed all the old insulation from my loft and found some notching which concerns me - Would you be worried about this and how can I tell what sort of wood has been used for the joists -

Its certainly old wood and looks like hardwood but I cant tell what type

It is 100mm high and teh joists are 6 metre lengths at 400mm widths

Any thoughts ?

IMG_6735.jpg

Sponsored Links
Looks like the sparkie notched the joist directly underneath the binder thinking it was a strong point. In fact binders act as a stiffener to resist twisting, and add little strength. The nearer the middle of the joist the notch the greater the weakening. That said if its been like that for years, probably no harm but if you're going to add chipboard flooring and substantial storage you could sister the joists to strengthen them but would have to re route the cables.

Blup

Thanks - Are the binder supposed to be connected to the joists - In my loft the binder appear to not even be sitting on the joists which is worrying - Should the joists and the binder be attached and if so should they be nailed or strapped in with metal joist hangers or ties ?

Sponsored Links
1) The notch for the cables is 18mm of a 100mm joist so greater then the 12.5 allowance

2) The notch is in the centre of a joist which is prohibited

3) The binder is not screwed in to the joists - Should they be?

I am frightened the ceiling will collapse at night

stop worrying if it was done more than 20 mins ago as it has survived
i assume most was done a lifetime ago [more than 20 years ]
much worse is not a problem the regs are with say 30% safety margin on top off the timber grading 15% and the sag spread load another 20%
just remember in general a joist can fully fail and the load will spread sideways causing extra load where those joists will drop so the cross timbers will take more load spreading to other timbers
in other words no bounce or sag dont worry just be careful

Thanks - Are the binder supposed to be connected to the joists - In my loft the binder appear to not even be sitting on the joists which is worrying - Should the joists and the binder be attached and if so should they be nailed or strapped in with metal joist hangers or ties ?
Looking at the pic again it looks like the nails were removed and the binder lifted to create the notch, so should really be nailed back in.

Blup

Yes, it had the skew nails pulled but dont attempt to skew nail or screw back into the old holes; you will maybe hit the cables plus metal guard plates have been use over the notches - instead, use Simpson angle brackets or similar, screw thro the slot for the binder fixing.

OP, pull all bent nails dont leave them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back