Roof windows query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently planning an extension to the rear of my house. It’s north facing and never gets sunshine. I’ll have two external walls. The walls will have a 150 mm pumped cavity with 62.5 mm Kingspan insulated plasterboard on the inside. My U value will be about 0.15.

The sloping roof will have 150 mm Isover Metac between the rafters with 62.5 mm Kingspan inside it, also giving me 0.15 U value.

I’m planning to have a triple glazed 1800 mm X 2100 mm uPVC French door and a 2000 mm X 1100 mm uPVC triple glazed window.
On the roof I plan to have two Fakro FTT U8 Thermo windows. They have a U value of 0.58, much better than the standard Fakro and Velux windows.

Now to my dilemma……. I had hoped to install 114 cm X 118 cm roof windows with a combined area of about 2.3 m2. The roof itself will have an approximate area of 20 m2. Will these windows still lead to unnecessary heat loss, since their U value will be 4 times worse than the roof itself?

I would still have adequate light if I used their 780 cm X 98 cm windows, I reckon, but the extra light from the bigger ones would be a bonus. Help please!

Sponsored Links
I have three large triple glazed velux windows in my extension and its warm as toast.

Hi Catlad. I'm delighted to hear that! 👍

Are they double or triple glazed? And, is the rest of your extension well insulated?

The heat loss reg's will look at glazing per floor area and not how comfy Catlads home is.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back