roofer or builder?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some damp walls in my newly acquired house, on an internal wall with a chimney breast. Previous owner said they had to have the flashing on the roof looked at a few years ago when a similar problem happened - is this a job for a roofer or a builder?

Sponsored Links
thanks - porous where? This is a downstairs party wall between two semi-detached houses, the back external wall of the affected room looks dry outside with quite a big overhanging roof so that wall doesn't seem to get wet when it rains (unless it is driving rain in that direction).

Is it a raised party wall? By that I mean one that penetrates the roof covering . Reason for asking is that we had an issue on a job we did some years ago that had the same sort of problem which we tracked to the party wall on the neighbouring side being shot to hell and acting as a sponge

Sponsored Links
Nothing to do with the roof. It is a condensation in your chimney.

I believe there is a vent on that chimney but no saying it isnt blocked. If there was condensation wouldnt I see it coming down the inside of the chimney? The main fireplace is still there downstairs albeit with a cover screwed over the flue by the previous owner and some holes in the breast for previous tv cables.

I believe there is a vent on that chimney but not saying it isnt blocked. If there was condensation wouldnt I see it coming down the inside of the chimney? The main fireplace is still there downstairs albeit with a cover screwed over the flue by the previous owner and some holes in the breast for previous tv cables.
You wouldn`t necessarily see it :idea: Can you remove the cover and let some air through for a while - see what happens

ok I have removed the cover - there is lots of insulation above the cover which I have moved aside to try and get some air flow. I cannot feel or hear any airflow if I stick my head near the opening - should I? Perhaps I need to put some smoke near the opening and see if it gets swept up...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back